Thursday, March 20, 2008

Forwarding Address

Big news…I’m moving. I’m not sure when the exact move day is as of yet, but it is so sure that it will happen that I can go ahead and give you my forwarding address. Just send any correspondence in my name to The New Jerusalem. So what is the New Jerusalem? The Apostle John describes it in the book of Revelation when he says,

“And I saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.” (Revelation 21:2)

The New Jerusalem is what we commonly call today “heaven.” It is the eternal home of all those who have placed their faith in the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. It is already in existence and it is in the process of preparation By Jesus Christ Himself who has been working on it for over two thousand years. Jesus said,

“In my Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself , that where I am, there you may be also.” (John 14:2-3)

So often in today’s culture when we think of heaven we think of some atherial place where we just float around on clouds forever while playing harps. I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t really get me excited. Fortunately, that is not a view of heaven that is found in Scripture. This heavenly city is a very real and very physical place. You can see it. You can touch it. In fact, based on the above words of the Apostle John in the book of Revelation, this city moves up and down as John saw it come down out of the abode of God through the atmospheric heavens right down to the earth.

This anticipation of living in this city goes all the way back to the Old Testament patriarch, Abraham. Hebrews 11:9-10 teaches us that Abraham was, “looking for a city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God!” This is pretty amazing when you consider that Abraham was originally from the land of Ur which was perhaps the most incredible city of its day. The writer of Hebrews goes on to say that we who are followers of Jesus should also look for this heavenly city where we will spend eternity (Hebrews 13:14). Folks, listen, I love living in Lititz, I really do. And I have seen some of the most fascinating cities in the world (New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seoul, Barcelona, even the modern city of Jerusalem) but nothing will beat the New Jerusalem.

Hebrews 12:22 would teach that as a follower of Jesus I am really a citizen of this heavenly city. I may currently reside at 793 Sue Drive in Lititz, PA (USA) but I’m really only an ambassador of another country. My passport is stamped and ready. Or in the words of the old spiritual, “This world is not my home! I’m just a passin’ thru!”

So please take note. I will be moving. When the time comes I will take up residence in the New Jerusalem…a city that is the ultimate of everything!

No comments: