Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A City Unlike Any Other (Holy Land #7 of 14)


As we journeyed through the Holy Land it was finally time to make our way up to the city of Jerusalem where we would spend our last 4 days. I had waited our whole trip to see this great city. I thought my first glimpse of it would be one of simple awe. Never would I have imagined that such emotion would rise within me as I caught my first sight and our tour guide played the old song, “Jerusalem.” This was it.

It was just outside this city on the Mt of Olives where Jesus spent many nights with His disciples and where He prayed in the garden before His resurrection.

This was the city where the great temple stood where Jesus was tempted by Satan.

This was the city where Jesus cleansed the temple.

This was the city where Jesus and His disciples had their last supper.

This was the city where He rode in on a donkey while the people waved palm branches and shouted, “Hosanna.”

This was the city where he was tried before Caiphas, Pilot and Herod.

This was the city where He was beaten, scourged and had a crown of thorns placed on His brow.

This was the city where He heard the crowds cry “Crucify Him.”

This was the city where my Lord carried His cross down the narrow street and up a hill outside the city gate to be crucified.

It was just outside this city that Christ was crucified, buried and resurrected.

This was the city where the women ran to the upper room to tell the disciples the news of the empty tomb.

This was the city where the resurrected Savior appeared to His disciples who were locked in an upper room.

As all of these thoughts raced through my mind I was overwhelmed by what a special city Jerusalem is. So special was this city that according to the book of Revelation one day we will live in what Scripture calls the New Jerusalem…A city so beautiful that John can only describe it as a bride adorned for her husband. A city where there is no more pain and no more tears. As much as I have anticipated seeing the city of Jerusalem, my real longing is to see that New Jerusalem…and one day I will!

No comments: