Thursday, November 13, 2008

7 Things Senior Pastors Want Their Staff to Know (part 1)

I am very big on originality when it comes to my blog. In other words, it is very rare that I just “cut and paste” someone else’s words. Most every entry comes from my own warped mind. However, I was reading a post by another pastor that gave me a lot to think about as a Sr Pastor. It was called “7 Things Senior Pastors Want Their Staff to Know.” It was thought provoking enough that I thought I would share it (in hopes that one of two of my own staff read my blog). Please keep in mind, these are not my words. This is a complete “cut and paste” job. I have edited them a bit for length and to take out the names of staff members or churches. You who are the curious type, however, I’m sure can do some google searching to discover the specifics.

#1 - I Need Positive Attitudes

Two thoughts on this…First of all, I think a person can (and should) be held accountable for their attitude. After all, Scripture tells us in Philippians 2:5 to have the attitude of Christ. I’m not talking about people who have a bad day from time to time–we all have those! We are imperfect people who work in an imperfect world. I am talking about the staff member that treats everyone around him or her as some sort of inferior idiot. That simply cannot be tolerated on any staff.

Second, a pastor needs “can do” people around him…what I mean is when he is casting vision he doesn’t need people rolling their eyes and making groaning noises and trying to play “devils advocate.” (By the way–the devil doesn’t need ANY help!). BUT, he does need honesty!

Let me paint a picture of how this looks. I remember once casting a huge vision of something I wanted to see happen production wise. It was a project unlike anything we had ever attempted. As I was talking in the meeting I noticed this guy writing furiously on his scratch pad. When I had finally shut up I looked at him and asked, “Can we do this?” His answer was, “Yes, we can DO anything. However, if you are serious about us pursuing what you just talked about let me share with you how much time that is going to take AND how much it is going to cost. It CAN be done…but in order for me to do it I am going to need to back off of a project or two…and we are going to need to spend more money that is in our budget!” I LOVED THAT! His attitude was, “Yes we can…but here are the facts associated with the yes.” This staff member had a CAN DO attitude and the COURAGE to be honest.

#2 - You Will Never Know The Weight I Feel

Ministry is tough on every level–period. However, the pain and burden that a pastor has to deal with is unlike any area I’ve ever experienced. I served as a staff member for nine years before becoming the senior pastor…and there isn’t a class on the planet that can prepare you for what is coming your way…both good and bad. Staff member, do all that you can to pray for that man! Trust me…he goes through it!