Friday, March 02, 2007

The Waitress at the Restaurant


In John 4, Jesus “had” to go through Samaria because God the Father had already orchestrated the life of one, lonely, hurting woman so that she would meet Jesus at a well and have her life changed for all of eternity. I believe that God sets up similar Divine Appointments for us in the same way, maybe even every day.

Not long ago, my wife and I were at dinner with another couple from Grace Church named Daryl and Janet. As our waitress waited on us, we had a good time putting “friendliness over function" and getting to know her. Her name was Tammy. In the process of our conversation with Tammy, she shared that she was getting married this Spring. I had just been telling Daryl and Janet that I was presently working with ten different couples to prepare them for marriage. Daryl brought that fact into the conversation which revealed to our waitress that I was a pastor.

Tammy quickly shared that even though she really wanted to be married by a minister, they had made an appointment with a Justice of the Peace because they didn’t go to church so they didn’t think any minister would marry someone who didn’t go to their church. I could sense the Holy Spirit prompting me. I quickly offered Tammy that if she and her fiancé would be willing to meet with me two or three times in advance that I would be glad to dialogue with them about marrying them. Tammy was elated. She quickly took my business card and said that she was going to discuss this with her fiancé.

Toward the end of our meal, another couple from Grace Church named Shawn and Kelly, who had been eating at the same restaurant, came over to our table to say “hello.” As we chatted, our waitress came back by. We introduced Shawn and Kelly to Tammy who was quickly becoming our friend. Daryl pointed out to Tammy that I had married Shawn and Kelly. I quickly piped up saying, “Yeah, I married them nearly a year ago and they’re still married!” It was obvious that God was orchestrating our lives, Shawn and Kelly’s life, and most importantly, Tammy’s life.

Think about all that took place. For all of these pieces to fall in place, we had to choose the right restaurant; we had to arrive at the right time; we had to be seated in the right section; and we had to be there at the same time that Shawn and Kelly were. This was a work of the orchestration of God. This was a Divine Appointment. This was meeting people where they are and helping to move them to where God wants them to be.

I’m praying that Tammy calls me. I’m praying that they will be willing to meet with me a few times. I’m praying that I will be able to share Christ with them. I’m praying that they will turn from their sin and put their faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus. I’m praying that I will then get to officiate their ceremony. I’m praying that as a result of doing their ceremony I will be able to present the Gospel of Jesus to their family and friends. For Jesus it was a Divine Appointment with the Women at the Well. For me it was a Divine Appointment with the Waitress at the Restaurant. Who will it be for you?

No comments: