Monday, January 08, 2007

A Night for Ohio Sports Fans


Growing up in Northeast Ohio I developed a deep love and loyalty for certain Ohio sports teams including anything from the city of Cleveland on the banks of Lake Erie. Whether it was the Indians of Major League Baseball; the Browns of the National Football League or the Cavaliers of the National Basketball Association, I was and still am one of this cities most committed fans.

Being a fan of Cleveland sports teams has brought heart-wrenching moments and eras. I can remember as a kid following my Indians season after season to yet another last place finish. When they finally did put together a team that could compete and even won 2 American League Pennants, I had to endure the agony of watching them lose the World Series each time, once to the Atlanta Braves and the other to the Florida Marlins.

I would follow the Cavaliers through up and down years until finally, with all-star Mark Price on the court, they would put together a great playoff run only to have it come to a screeching halt when who else but Michael Jordan hit a game winning acrobatic three pointer at the buzzer to give the Bulls a pass into the next round.

The best chance for victories any of my sports team would have each year was when the Cleveland Browns took the field. Each year my hopes would rise only to come crashing down time after time. It happened when Brian Sipe through the interception in the end zone in the closing seconds of the AFC championship game against the Oakland Raiders in what has been dubbed the “ice bowl.” It then happened in back to back years against the Denver Broncos as each time it looked like the Browns were finally headed to the promised land of the Super Bowl. The first time John Elway led a 99 yard drive to eliminate the Browns. The second year Ernest Byner fumbled just before going into the end zone for what would have been a championship clinching score. Oh the pain!

And then came the most devastating blow to my heart and soul. Art Modell, owner of the Cleveland Browns, moved the team to Baltimore. I know that this is horrible for a pastor of a church named “Grace” to admit, but I don’t think I can ever forgive the man for doing this to the city of Cleveland…to me. This was by far the worst day of my life.

But with these teams from Cleveland there was one other sports team in the state that I developed a deep passion for. This was not any team from the city of Cincinnati. In my opinion, the only sign of sports life in Cincinnati is the big green one on the highway that reads I-71 North to Cleveland. But there is a team from the state capitol of Columbus that I follow religiously. I am speaking of “The Ohio State University Buckeyes.” In January of 2003 they brought me my greatest moment as a sports fan when they upset the Miami Hurricanes for the National Championship in one of the most exciting football games that I have ever watched. Now, tonight, it very well could happen once again. Tonight Heisman Trophy winner, Troy Smith, and coach Jim Tressel, will lead my Buckeyes against the Florida Gators with the winners being crowned National Champions. Go Bucks!!

No comments: