Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Do we have to be so hateful?

I am often amazed at the heart attitude that comes across as some Christians attack others whom they disagree with. Don’t get me wrong. I have no problem with voicing our concern over issues, comments, philosophies, actions and even theologies that we disagree with, but why is it that so many feel that these disagreements give them a right to be hateful when they speak or when they write their concerns? I see it all too often.

When I pastored back in Osceola, IN, our church was located less than 1-mile from a major KKK white supremacy group leader. This individual was the Grand Dragon and his father, who lived one town over, was the International Imperial Wizard. On a fairly regular basis, this group would have rallies, cross burnings and white pride festivals. Now I was in complete disagreement with everything this group stood for and wished they were not part of our community. But what bothered me more was the “christian” group who organized to oppose the KKK. This “anti-group” was as hateful toward the KKK as the KKK was toward minorities. Even a local law enforcement officer confided in me that that this “anti-KKK group” was far more difficult to deal with then the KKK.

One lady, who was part of this anti-KKK group, came into my office to confront me on why as a spiritual leader of the largest church in the community, I had not joined her group. I remember telling her that I did not believe in fighting hatred with hatred and that I was praying daily for this KKK leader and how I longed for the day when he would be a part of my church as a changed man through the saving power of Jesus Christ to change anyone’s life. Her response amazed me. She simply replied, “I dread that day!”

Why is that we think we can fight hatred with hatred? Why is it that we think we can fight anything with hatred? I see Christians doing it all the time as they attack other Christians verbally or in writing when they disagree with them or with their ministry. Again, I have no problem with communicating a concern, but why do those who claim to be followers of Jesus Christ have to demonstrate a heart attitude of harshness and hatred as they do so? Why can’t we speak the truth in love and still have our words seasoned with grace even when we are in disagreement? Perhaps the answer to that question is “pride.” Many Christians who disagree with other believers on issues that are more conviction or preference oriented are so filled with spiritual arrogance that they feel that they have every right to be demeaning. How sad!

When will we understand that the way to fight spiritual battles is with spiritual weapons? When will we understand that according to Ephesians 6:1-2, our struggle is not against flesh and blood? Our struggle is not against liberal politicians or against humanistic organizations or against abortionists or against homosexuals. Our struggle is not against other believers who don’t cross their spiritual “t’s” and dot their spiritual “i’s” like we do. Our struggle is against the powers and principalities of wickedness, against Satan and his cohort of demons and the influence of evil that they bring into our world. We must fight our battle with spiritual weapons…the armor of God, the Word of God and with prayer.

No comments: