Thursday, January 05, 2006

If they write it . . . I read it

So what’s on your list of books to read in 2006? I have to admit that I am not an avid reader. I obviously do a lot of reading during the day to prepare for sermons and what have you, but when it comes to pleasure, reading is not my cup of tea. My brain gets used so much during the course of the day, that when I get home, the last thing I want to do is use my brain some more. So instead, I watch TV (usually ESPN and FOX News). This way I don’t have to use my brain. I can just relax. But when I do get the urge to read, it is usually a book from one of my favorite authors. I’ve listed them below:

Charles Swindol: I love this guy’s books because he is able to teach you deep truths but in a way that you not only understand it, but you also know how to apply it. I have read just about everything he has written, but my favorite book of his is entitled, Laugh Again, which is wonderful study on the book of Philippians. I also have really enjoyed his series on the great characters of the Bible. Elijah has been my favorite of these so far.

Bill Hybels: Most people know him as the pastor of the mega church near Chicago. He is also a very talented writer. His books always push me out of my comfort zone when it comes to leadership in ministry. Outside of the Bible, the book that has influenced me more than any other is his book entitled, Honest to God? Becoming an Authentic Christian. I also was deeply challenged by his book, Courageous Leadership.

Lee Strobel: This former atheist has become one of the best known Christian Apologists in the country. He is best known for his thorough three volume works, The Case for Christ; The Case for Faith; and The Case for the Creator. In my opinion, all three of these are “must reads” for every believer.

John Ortberg: John is the former teaching pastor with Bill Hybels at Willow Creek. Now he is the Sr. Pastor of his own church in San Fran Cisco. My favorite work of Johns is entitled, If You Want to Walk on Water You Have to Get Out of the Boat. God used this book tremendously in my life when I was praying through if I should come to Lititz or remain pastoring in Osceola, Indiana.

John Maxwell: This guy is the leadership guru. I love everything he puts out. My favorite works include his writings on the Laws of Leadership and Laws of Teamwork.

Rick Warren: His world-wide best seller, The Purpose Driven Life, is an amazing book, but the writing of his I have appreciated the most is similarly titled, The Purpose Driven Church. It’s an outstanding book to remind us to be purpose driven as a local church.

Ed Dobson: Dr. Dobson was the Sr. Pastor of Calvary Church in Grand Rapids until his recent retirement due to a physical disease. He is the best preacher I have ever heard in my life. His books are few in number but they have greatly challenged me including his work co-authored with Cal Thomas entitled, Blinded by Might.

No comments: